The Norwegian prime minister is looking forward to the 2017 UCI Road World Championships
– In Bergen, we are using every opportunity to have a party, says the Norwegian prime minister, Erna Solberg, cheerfully. She hopes the people of Bergen will make a great feast during the 2017 UCI Road World Championships.
When we write September, and one of the world's biggest sporting events comes to Bergen, the prime minister expects to see the enthusiasm we usually see every time the people of Bergen arrange great events.
– I hope for good weather. We will have a unique opportunity to show a fantastic city, the mountains, the fjord - everything - so people want to visit Bergen afterwards, says Solberg.
What do you think is the reason why the people of Bergen are so good at making public events in the city center?
– I think we are good at it because we simply like other people. We like to be out and have fun and we use every opportunity to have a party. Bergen is an engaging place to be.
The cycling-interested prime minister of Norway points out that road cycling does not happen inside a sports arena, but out on the public roads. Thus, the city of Bergen becomes a stage when the eyes of the world are aimed at the 2017 UCI Road World Championships.
– I hope we can give a good impression for tourists and others. I think that the event will show the people’s enthusiasm and the beauty of the city. Maybe some will try to ride their bikes up the demanding Mount Fløyen.
The prime minister is amazed to see what effort the athletes are going through in the Grand Tours.
– I'm actually one of the Norwegians who got enthusiastic about the Tour de France long before it came to Norwegian TV, simply because my sister lived in Spain and we saw it there.
Find out more about